Software and Firmware Versions
For details of the latest available software and firmware versions please see the sidebar on our news page.
In the first instance, please always try to see if you can resolve any problem from the information in the manuals and, in particular, from the troubleshooting sections towards the end of each manual. The Davis manuals are, in general, lucid and well-written, and contain most of the information you will ever need to understand and correct any operational issues. As with most software these days, the Help function within the Weatherlink software is the place to look for help with Weatherlink software issues.
In addition, we do also have our own online knowledgebase, which is still being regularly updated and extended but which provides additional detailed troubleshooting advice on many issues that can crop up over time with Davis stations and loggers. This KB can be viewed at the following URL:
Seeking further help
If you purchased your system from Prodata
For customers who purchased their Davis station from us, Prodata Weather Systems aims to offer a helpful, responsive and expert support service via our simple Spiceworks online ticketing system and email. Sorry, but we cannot provide support for users who bought elsewhere unless you wish to make a new purchase from us. Please do not use this support ticketing system for pre-sales enquiries – email us at
To log a new support request with us please click on the button to the right and fill out the form with as much detail as possible. It is only necessary to create a new ticket when you have a new issue. If you have a support issue that is ongoing and the ticket has not yet been closed then please continue with the email exchange that has already been started.
Please only make support requests online as detailed above and not via telephone. This helps us considerably to provide a good, prompt support service because it provides an automatic and trackable record of the details of your support request. You will also typically get a quicker answer via the ticketing system than by phone.
Once again, regrettably we can only help our own customers (unless you’re seeking paid support or wish to buy Davis spares – we do carry a wide range of Vue and VP2 spares and accessories for sale, which are available to all EU-based users.)
Smartbedded products (eg Meteobridge)
Please note that support for Smartbedded products such as Meteobridge Pro is provided directly by Smartbedded – we do not have the specialist knowledge of the program code to troubleshoot possible problems nor any spares/replacement stock. Please make support requests as follows:
- Check the Meteobridge wiki for troubleshooting hints;
- Ask on the Meteobridge forum;
- Direct email to Smartbedded at firstname.lastname@example.org;
If you did not buy from Prodata
If you purchased a system from a different UK dealer then please contact them for support.For international users the support & service arrangements will vary according to the country in which you purchased your Davis system. In general, these arrangements will be as follows:
- In the US, users can contact Davis directly. See the Davis support web page for contact details;
- Outside the US, users should contact their supplying dealer for local service and support details. International users are of course also free to contact Davis directly by email or by phone, but in general Davis can only respond to questions that can be easily answered by email or phone; for any issues that require physical return of a VP part for investigation or repair you will, in any event, typically be referred to your local distributor. Bear in mind also that the only support location for Davis is California and so some delay in response due to time-zone differences, different national holidays etc is to be expected. And while Davis have a good reputation for responding to support emails, the volume of mail obviously varies and it may sometimes take at least a couple of days for them to reply. In general, your local Davis support will be well-informed and the best port of call for any support issues;
- Please remember that dealers can typically only support the version of the VP station designed for sale in their country. So, for example, only OV-specification wireless parts are readily available in the UK and not the equivalent US wireless specification parts;
Requesting support – general
When contacting your support provider with a support request, we would strongly encourage you (please!) to provide as much relevant detail as possible. Many dealers will be supporting over a thousand – maybe many thousands of – Davis stations and, even for recent purchases from a given dealer, it becomes impossible easily to recall the details of individual customers and system specifications. So the more background information you can provide about the fault and the particular station, the more likely you are to receive a prompt answer. (This also applies to follow-up emails about support incidents already raised – with the best will in the world, it’s very difficult to remember the details of a phone call from ‘Charlie’ some 6 or 8 weeks or more ago!)
While you don’t need to write a multi-page document to ask about a minor issue, please remember that we’re not telepathic and customer’s systems vary considerably in age and complexity. So the sort of information that’s needed includes:
- A clear description of what appears to be wrong, which should be brief but specifying all relevant details. For example, if there’s a reading that seems inaccurate then is that reading on the console or in the PC software? Detail briefly what troubleshooting measures have been tried to date and with what result;
- Spell out the system specification details, the VP model number, wireless or cabled, any accessories fitted (eg Anemometer Transmitter), which wireless channels are being used, any wireless repeaters in use and, ideally, the Mfg Code for the console (to give the support provider a good idea of the system’s age);
- When was it purchased? (To give an indication of age/version and whether or not the unit is still under warranty.) Do you have an invoice number and/or date that you can quote?
- If it’s a problem with the Weatherlink software or the data stored on the PC then which versions of data logger and Weatherlink program? Which version of Windows is on the PC? It may very often be extremely helpful to attach a copy of the current monthly Weatherlink database file (eg the file called 2009-05.wlk for May 2009 – do a search for *.wlk files in Windows if you don’t know where to find these wlk files) to an email.
NB Software support is typically only available from dealers for the Davis Weatherlink program itself. Third-party programs, such as Weather Display, Virtual Weather Station, Cumulus etc will all have their own dedicated user forums from which help should be sought.
Support – returns
Returns to Prodata Weather Systems
If – and please only if – you’ve already contacted us about a problem and we’ve agreed that you should return a part to us at Prodata for investigation/repair then please use the following procedure:
- Please pack it carefully to survive rough handling and include no more parts than are requested. For example, for anemometer repairs it is not usually necessary to include the wind cups which are more easily damaged in transit;
- Be sure to include your name and address (most important – you’d be surprised by how often people forget this!) AND a brief description of the problem AND a note of the purchase date (if still thought to be under warranty);
- Address it to our office in Littleport – see our contact page for postal address details;
- Send it by a signed-for service to ensure that the package can be tracked, eg in the UK by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery or – preferably – Special Delivery (provided the weight doesn’t exceed 2kg). The latter costs a bit more but is a faster, more reliable and better-tracked service.
UK Service Centre
We are happy to provide an experienced and knowledgeable front-line support service for our Davis products and for our own customers, so please continue to contact ourselves at Prodata Weather Systems in the first instance, by email or phone, with any question or problem that you may have. We will very often be able to provide an answer or solution at this stage.
However, while we keep a selection of board-level spares for our products, we do not carry many individual component spares for the systems nor do we run workshop facilities for any detailed service or repairs that may occasionally be needed. These functions are carried out by the Davis UK Service Centre, which is run under contract from Davis by a company called McMurdo Ltd based in Portsmouth. Any component that needs detailed investigation or repair needs to be returned to the Service Centre. Also, any adjudication on possible warranty claims will be carried out solely by McMurdo.
While we can, on request, act as intermediaries in getting a problem investigated, it’s usually quicker and simpler for a customer to deal directly with the Service Centre. The procedure is essentially as described in the preceding section above for returns to Prodata, but with two important differences:
- Contact the Service Centre customer service desk by phone on 023 9262 3808 or by email at email@example.com and explain the problem. Sometimes it may be necessary for an engineer to arrange to call you back to talk through the problem in more detail. If it is agreed that you should send back a part to the service centre then please be sure to receive and note a returns number, which will be in the format CSddddddd (where ‘d’ is a digit). This is very important for returns to McMurdo. Also, if the issue has previously discussed with the service centre via ourselves at Prodata, please mention this fact and the advice given.
- Address it to:Davis Customer Services
Airport Service Road
PORTSMOUTH PO3 5PB